Section: Make DASH Work for You
Grocery shopping is faster, easier and cheaper if you start with a list and a plan. Decide ahead of time which meals you’re going to make during the week and include the ingredients on your DASH shopping list.
Keep these tips in mind as you plan your shopping list:
- Plan your meals around seasonal fruit and vegetables
- Include whole-grain foods like whole-wheat pasta, 100% whole-wheat bread, brown rice, barley, and quinoa
- Try using beans, peas, or lentils for delicious and filling protein and fiber
- Choose fresh lean meats, skinless poultry, seafood, and tofu
- Fill your cart with lowfat and fat-free dairy products
- Choose low-sodium canned vegetables, tomato sauce, beans, broth and soups when available
- Reach for low-calorie beverages like lowfat or fat-free milk, 100% fruit juice, low-sodium 100% vegetable juice, herbal teas, and mineral water
- Choose low-sodium dressings and condiments when available
Use our DASH shopping list and you’ll be on your way to building a healthful pantry.
Don’t know where to start? Check out our quick and healthy meals for delicious DASH dinners to shop for.