Start slowly and take DASH one step at a time. Remember the old adage, “Rome wasn’t built in a day?” Your transition to the DASH eating style will happen gradually, not all at once.
Take the pressure off and start with a few DASH meals
per week. Think about the DASH foods you already eat. Consider your favorite recipes, foods and snacks and include them in your weekly meal plan
. Recycle your successes- when a meal or snack idea works, repeat it!
DASH doesn’t only work when eating at home. There are plenty of strategies for making DASH choices when dining out
. Whether it’s a meal out on the town, a trip through the drive through, or a quick snack on the run, you can find DASH solutions away from home.
Make a plan to adopt DASH. With a plan in place you’ll be able to ensure you are making the right DASH choices for optimal health.
- Ask yourself- what, where, what time, and with whom do you eat
- Adapt DASH to your usual routines with family, work, and play
- Anticipate changing schedules and their effects on what and how you will eat
- Use planning tools like the weekly meal planner and the daily DASH tracker
- Plan meals and snacks that include DASH choices
- Use the shopping list to shop smart for DASH foods