This recipe is a sweet and creamy, low-lactose treat for anyone - lactose intolerant or not!
Recipe adapted from Sally Schneider, A New Way to Cook
Layer pudding and mixed berries or slices of banana to make a healthful fruit parfait that still fits into the DASH guidelines.
4 cups low-fat lactose-free milk
¼ cup cornstarch
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferable Dutch processed
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. In a small bowl, blend ½ cup of milk with the cornstarch.
2. In a heavy saucepan combine the cocoa and salt; slowly whisk in the remaining 3 ½ cups milk, the chocolate, and the sugar. Heat over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is melted.
3. Whisk in the cornstarch mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, over very low heat until very thick and just beginning to boil, about 10 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Let cool, stirring occasionally until the custard is just warm.
5. Pour the pudding into individual ½-cup custard cups or small bowls. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until chilled and set.
Per serving: 162 calories, 5.5 g total fat, 3.5 g saturated fat, 23 g carbohydrate, 5.5 g protein, 1 g fiber, 123 mg sodium, 193 mg potassium, 17mg magnesium, 155 mg calcium