The benefits of DASH go way beyond disease prevention. DASH is recommended by the 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. Following the nutrient-rich DASH eating plan is a delicious and easy way to be healthy. With such a great variety of food and flavors, following DASH won’t feel like a diet at all.
Here’s what it means to follow the DASH eating plan every day:
- You'll enjoy many foods that you already eat
- DASH adds new foods to your plate, rather than taking them away
- DASH is adaptable to special dietary needs, such as wheat-free or vegetarian
- You'll find all the DASH foods at your local supermarket, no special shopping needed
- DASH is easy! No complicated menu plans or time-consuming meal preparation
Every day choose:
- Fat-free and lowfat dairy products
- A variety of colorful fruit and vegetables
- Whole grain foods, 50% of the time
- Lean meat, poultry and fish
- Nuts, seeds and dry beans (4-5 times/week)
Choose foods that are high in fats and oils, and added sugar and salt less often.
Use the Daily DASH Tracker to help you take on the DASH eating plan one step at a time.