Creamy Garlic Potatoes
Potatoes are versatile. Prepare this dish with lactose free milk for those with an intolerance. Serve it during the holidays or during the week with roasted chicken and sautéed vegetables for a satisfying meal.
Recipe Courtesy of the National Dairy Council.
This side dish fits into the DASH diet plan because it is low in sodium, fat and calories. Garlic can help lower blood pressure. Garlic also adds flavor without adding sodium, which can raise blood pressure.
1 3/4 pounds potatoes
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup canola oil (not consumed)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/3 cups lactose free non-fat milk
2 teaspoons chopped parsley
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Peel, slice and salt potatoes. Place flour in a large bowl and dredge potatoes in flour.
3. Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Carefully place a small batch of potatoes in hot oil. Fry on both sides until golden brown.
4. Remove potatoes from pan and place on a plate that has been lined with paper towels to soak up excess oil. Allow oil to re-heat before putting in another batch of potatoes. Repeat until all potatoes are fried.
5. Place a single layer of fried potatoes in a 9x9 inch baking dish. Sprinkle minced garlic over the potatoes.
6. Layer the remaining potatoes on top of the garlic.
7. Pour lactose free milk over the potatoes. Bake in preheated oven 35-45 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbling.
8. Sprinkle with parsley just before serving.
111 calories, 5.35 g total fat, 0.4g saturated fat, 14 g carbohydrates, 3.0 g protein, 1 g fiber, 164 mg sodium, 75.5 mg potassium, 0.2 mg magnesium, 80 mg calcium