A quick and flavorful way to get in a serving of whole grains!
Recipe courtesy of OSU extension service; foodhero.org
Quinoa is a gluten-free, whole grain that is packed with protein and fiber to help keep you satisfied long after you eat it. Make it a meal by serving with a glass of nonfat milk and sliced fruit.
2 teaspoons olive oil
½ onion diced
1 cup quinoa
2 cups stock (vegetable, chicken, or beef)
1 zucchini diced
1 carrot diced
2 tablespoon fresh herbs (such as basil, thyme, oregano, chives) or 2 teaspoon dried herbs such as an Italian seasoning
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat
• Sauté the onion, carrots, and zucchini for 8-10 minutes.
• Add quinoa and stir to coat
• Add the liquid and bring to a simmer for about 20 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is tender
• Combine with the herbs, spices, or seasonings and season with salt, and pepper, to taste.
Per serving: 200 calories, 5 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 34 g carbohydrates, 7 g protein, 3 g fiber, 90 mg sodium, 136 mg potassium, 9 mg magnesium,45 mg calcium