Roasted Root Vegetable Puree
An easy and tasty way to meet your vegetable goal for the day.
Recipe courtesy of Hillary Lawson, OSU dietetic intern.
This vegetable puree is chalk full of Vitamin A and very versatile. Add any root vegetables you like and, depending on the theme of your meal, add herbs and spices (low or no sodium). Roast any lean meat or fish while roasting the vegetables. Just spritz with olive oil and season with fresh cracked pepper. Make it a meal with puree, meat or fish, sliced fruit and a glass of milk.
3 cups of low sodium vegetable broth
1 leek, chopped
½ medium sweet yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1.5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
½ large parsnip, sliced
2 carrots ~ 7 inches, sliced
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
2 cups, butternut squash, peeled and cubed
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
1) Turn crockpot on high and add the vegetable broth.
2) In a pan over medium heat, sauté the chopped leek, onion and garlic in olive oil. Sauté until the onion becomes translucent.
3) Add sautéed vegetables to the broth in the crockpot.
4) For roasted vegetables: clean the carrots, parsnips, sweet potato, and squash. Slice the carrots and parsnips into medallions. Peel the sweet potato and squash, then dice.
5) Put the vegetables onto cookie sheets and spritz with olive oil. *If you want, season the vegetables with spices (herbs or low/no sodium seasonings) of your choice.
6) Roast the vegetables for 25-35 minutes, or until you can pierce them with a fork.
7) Put all of the vegetables into the crockpot, cover and let sit for 1-2 hours on high.
8) For the final step, take an immersion blender and blend crock-pot ingredients until you reach the desired consistency. If you do not have an immersion blender, blend individual batches in a blender. Be careful, the heat of the product can build up pressure and cause splatter in sealed blenders.
Per serving: 80 calories, 2.5 g total fat, 0 g saturated fat, 15 g carbohydrates, 1 g protein, 3 g fiber, 75 mg sodium, 244 mg potassium, 22 mg magnesium, 47 mg calcium