Skinny Chicken Pesto Bake
A dinner dish packed with protein and a Mediterranean flair prepared in a flash.
Recipe courtesy of www.skinnytaste.com.
Want to ensure that your poultry is cooked all the way through without the hassle of cutting into each piece? Invest in a meat thermometer. A meat thermometer takes the guess work out of checking whether your dinner is done. Push the probe into the thickest part of the meat and wait for the temperature to stabilize. Poultry should reach 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
2 (160 ounces total) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 teaspoons basil pesto
1 medium tomato, sliced thin
6 tablespoons shredded reduced fat mozzarella cheese
2 teaspoons grated parmesan cheese
1) Wash the chicken and pat dry with a paper towel. Slice the chicken breast horizontally to create 4 thinner pieces.
2) Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment.
3) Place the chicken on the baking sheet and spread 1 teaspoon of pesto onto each piece of chicken.
4) Bake for 15 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center. Remove from the oven and top with tomatoes, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese.
5) Return to the oven for another 3 to 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Per serving: 200 calories, 7 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 3 g carbohydrates, 28 g protein, 0 g fiber, 270 mg sodium, 420 mg potassium, 29 mg magnesium, 115 mg calcium